Thursday 15 January 2009

Taxi or truck?

While I was waiting for my friends outside a restaurant this evening, I was doing a bit of 'people watching'. I like imagining where people are going and where they're from. It makes waiting around a bit more interesting, if nothing else!

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice a dishevelled looking man aged about 75 stumbling between the bollards in the pedestrian zone. I knew a fall was going to be inevitable, but I didn't want to intervene unnecessarily, so I kept a close eye on him, poised to react if I needed to. He did fall, and as soon as he did I ran over to help. I see it as my duty as a member of the ambulance service to assist if someone is injured, but I was glad that another member of the public came over too. Together we made sure he wasn't badly injured, and we helped him into a chair provided by the restaurant owners. I asked him if he wanted an ambulance and he said no, just a taxi home. He told me he had the money to pay, and told me where he lived, so I booked a cab for him. He didn't completely make sense, because his speech was slurred. I could smell alcohol on his breath, so I put it down to that.

It wasn't until later in the evening that I started having doubts - should I have called an ambulance? After all, the man had taken a tumble, and didn't seem completely compos mentis. There was the slurred speech, of course, so he could have just been drunk - I'm not intending to stereotype him, but he gave me that impression. When I called the cab, it took about 15 minutes to arrive and the whole time the poor guy was mumbling that he wanted to get back home. So he obviously wanted to go home, but I'm not sure if I should maybe have called the cavalry to check him out and make sure he was definitely OK. After all, who can really say why he was stumbling? It could have been alcohol, but it could have been more sinister.

Someone put my mind at rest! Did I do right to call him a taxi, or would 999 have been more appropriate? All opinions welcome.

No comments: