Tuesday 29 April 2008

A guide to the 999 system

Statistically, the average UK resident will phone for an ambulance every 14 and a half years, so it's quite likely that the majority of our callers will be doing so for the first time.

I'm going to guide you through an average 999 call.

Me: Ambulance emergency, what's the address of the emergency?
Caller: 23 Random House, Average Road, Boringsville, Sussex, AB12 3CD
Me: Thanks. What's the problem, tell me exactly what's happened?
Caller: My dad's got chest pain.

I will then find 'chest pain' on the ProQA system and get the screen up.

Me: I'm organising help for you now, I just have to ask a few questions but it's not delaying any assistance to you.

Then I will ask the caller some questions relating to their father's chest pain, such as whether or not he is breathing normally. This determines the severity of the problem at that time, and the call is triaged.

Me: I'm arranging help for you now, stay on the line and I'll tell you exactly what to do next.

I will give some general instructions - called PDIs, or Post Dispatch Instructions - such as asking the caller to gather the patient's medications and writing down the name of their GP, and sending somebody outside to meet the ambulance crew. Usually, that is where the call will end, but if the chest pain is severe enough to pose an immediate risk (such as the patient losing consciousness or going into cardiac arrest) I will stay on the line in case further instructions are required. These are called Pre Arrival Instructions.

I hope you've found this interesting! If you want to know any more about the ProQA system, there is some information at http://www.prioritydispatch.net/index.php?a=products&b=policeproqa_more

No comments: